Welcome to the libraries of the MCD University of Divinity.
The MCD University of Divinity community is served by libraries committed to meeting the coursework and research requirements of students and faculty in its Recognised Teaching Institutions.
Each library has its own distinctive identity expressed in collections that reflect their denominational heritage and which together comprise one of the nations leading deposits of theological material. They are accessible to all students enrolled with the MCD University of Divinity.
No student enrolled in a certificate, diploma or degree course at MCD University of Divinity [the Institution] is to be charged a fee for the purpose of accessing library resources at any library in association with the Institution, which is in addition to those course fees as determined from year to year by the Council of the Institution. Access to library resources includes the borrowing of books, other than those in restricted collections.
Any library in association with the Institution may impose certain restrictions on borrowing rights for certain collections, such as those books in Reserve Collections, Rare Books, Reference Books, Serials, and any other caveats the lending library may determine. Any student who wishes to make a complaint about access to library resources should contact MCD University of Divinity.
In order to borrow from a particular library, a student should apply to that library directly. If a library loan involves postage, the lending library’s distance borrowing policies in relation to postage costs will apply.
If a student arranges a loan from another library through their local RTI’s library rather than directly with the lending library, the transaction will be considered an “inter-library loan” and will ordinarily attract the relevant ILL/Document Delivery fee recommended by ALIA (the Australian Library and Information Association).
Any student who wishes to make a complaint about access to library resources should contact MCD University of Divinity.
Please take the time to discover the range of resources and services that we offer.
Click on the library name link to leave the MCD University of Divinity website and be redirected to the library websites.
Australian Lutheran College
The Löhe Memorial Library serves students and staff of Australian Lutheran College, and the wider pastoral and academic community of the Lutheran Church of Australia, by providing access to excellent theological and educational resources and research tools. In carrying out this mission, our well-trained staff are committed to quality service within a warm, Christian environment.
The building in which the library is located was erected in 1882 as the lecture hall and auditorium of Whinham College. It also served as a gymnasium before being converted to use as a library. It was dedicated as the Löhe Memorial Library on 2 October 1960 and named in memory of Director Johannes Paul Löhe, who was principal of Immanuel Theological Seminary from 1923 to 1944. When Immanuel Theological Seminary was amalgamated with Concordia Seminary to form Luther Seminary in 1967, the Löhe Memorial Library became the library of the new institution, being augmented with most of the collection of the former Concordia Seminary Library.
When Lutheran Teachers College moved onto Luther Campus at the beginning of 1990, its collection was also moved into the Löhe Memorial Library. At the beginning of 1998 Luther Campus reverted to being called Luther Seminary. The Seminary was renamed Australian Lutheran College at the beginning of 2004.
Stirling Theological College
The Campbell Edwards Library is the library of the Stirling Theological College. It provides resources for theological study and research, for students of the College, for persons in ministry in the Churches of Christ, and for other interested persons. The collection holds materials required to support college study units, both core materials and supplementary texts and includes books (25 000 volumes), journals (45 current subscriptions) and online databases. The main subject areas covered are biblical studies, theology, early and Reformation church history, pastoral theology and practical ministry.
Catholic Theological College (CTC)
The Mannix Library exists primarily to serve the needs of staff and students of Catholic Theological College, Melbourne, and is also open to the public. It provides access to over 100,000 monograph volumes and approximately 220 current serials.
The Library was founded in 1923 as part of Corpus Christi College - the provincial seminary for the Catholic dioceses of Victoria and Tasmania. The seminary and the library were located at various times at Werribee, Glen Waverley and Clayton.
When Catholic Theological College was established in 1972, library services were extended to CTC. In 1999, the Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne assumed responsibility for funding the library which was renamed the Daniel Mannix Library and relocated from Clayton to its current site in East Melbourne.
Established as a House of Studies for the Dominican friars in 1940, St Dominic's Priory has built up over the years a unique collection of often difficult-to-find works in philosophy, theology, scripture and church history. Over 50,000 volumes, including a sizeable, polyglot periodical collection, are housed in pleasant rooms at the rear of the building on the ground floor. "Dominicana" and Thomistic philosophy and theology are specialities of this library.
Since 2001, the library has been open to the public for general reading purposes (free) or for registered subscription with borrowing rights (modest semester fee).
Institute for Christian Spirituality and Pastoral Formation
The Carmelite Library is a unique theological collection in Australia, specialising in spirituality and mysticism. It is a research library, but open to the general reader engaged in the Way. As part of its role with ICSPF, the library orders everything of importance in the area of Spiritual Direction. Being also the Province Library of the Carmelite Friars, it has the best collection of literature in the 800-year Carmelite spiritual tradition. Other significant collection strengths are in the spiritual traditions of the world religions, medieval and Renaissance studies, hagiography, monasticism, and Mariology.
The Salvation Army Training College (SABC)
The Salvation Army Booth College library is one of two theological libraries for the Salvation Army in Australia. Our collection holds some 26,000 items and supports all study undertaken at the college by both its residential and external students. This library also acts as a repository for Salvation Army publications and has a strong Salvation Army history collection.
Along with the functions of information and borrowing services the library also provides an access point to other Salvation Army collections both in Australia and overseas.
The library is staffed part- time 4 days a week. MCD University of Divinity students wishing to use the library should call before visiting the College to ensure the Librarian is on duty.
Trinity College is an Anglican College which houses the Leeper and Mollison Libraries which service the Residential, Theological and Foundation Studies students. The two libraries hold around 60,000 volumes and both on-line and hard copy journals. The Mollison Library is the Anglican Church’s Provincial Library. As Trinity College is a Recognised Teaching Institute of the MCD University of Divinity, all MCD University of Divinity students are eligible to borrow from these Libraries.
The United Faculty of Theology (UFT)
The Dalton McCaughey Library is on the campus of the United Faculty of Theology in Parkville. It is owned by the Society of Jesus and the Uniting Church. It has a large collection that in certain subject areas is of national importance. Books and journals are arranged on four levels in a new building which opened in 2007. There is an extensive collection of electronic resources that is accessible to borrowers via the library's web site. The building offers attractive conditions for readers and study groups including wireless access to the Internet, and computing, copying and printing services Special facilities are available to research students. All MCD University of Divinity students are eligible to borrow from this library.
The Geoffrey Blackburn Library supports the residential and theological community of Whitley College. Whitley is also recognized as the Baptist Theological College of Victoria which commenced in 1891. The theology collection of approximately 30,000 volumes covers all areas of theology including biblical languages, biblical studies, church history, systematic theology, ministerial studies, missiology and pastoral care. Specialist collections include Baptist History, and the works of F.W. Boreham. The current building was opened in 2001 and offers study areas, computing, copying and printing facilities, and a wireless network was installed in December 2009.
Yarra Theological Union
The Patrick Murphy Memorial Library belongs to the Divine Word Missionaries. It consists of approximately 7,000 theological, biblical and spiritual books and journals primarily to serve the needs of the Divine Word Missionaries' seminarians and lecturers. It is however open to MCD students by appointment. It is staffed on Fridays and Saturdays only.
The Divine Word Missionaries' extensive missiology and church history collection is based in the St Paschal Library to facilitate access by students and research scholars. This collection is also open to MCD University of Divinity students during normal library hours.
The Redemptorist Library belongs to the Redemptorist Community. It consists of approximately 26,000 theological, biblical and spiritual books and journals primarily to serve the needs of the Redemptorist seminarians and lecturers. It is open to MCD students by appointment only. It is staffed on Wednesdays.
The Redemptorist Community has also built up an extensive Social Justice Library collection. It is housed at YTU in the Postgraduate Study Centre, and is adjacent to the Yarra Research Institute and Social Policy Connections offices. It is staffed only on Tuesday afternoons and may be accessed by MCD University of Divinity students by appointment.
St Paschal Library is the provincial library of the Order of Friars Minor, Holy Spirit Province, Australia. It is the main resource centre for Franciscan studies within Australia.
The Library is also the main campus library for the Yarra Theological Union, a Recognised Teaching Institution of the MCD University of Divinity.
St Paschal Library is also open to the public.
Morling College is an evangelical Theological College based in New South Wales. The Library is named to commemorate the contribution of the Rev B Gilbert Wright (former Vice Principal and Principal) to the College. Morling College Library’s main task is to provide resources to staff, students and graduates of Morling College, and accredited NSW and ACT Baptist pastors. The Library houses more than 45 000 books, over 180 journal titles and subscribes to two journal databases (EBSCOhost, and ProQuest). Morling College Library supports the teaching departments of Morling College, with a collection that reflects this with subjects represented including biblical studies and theology, pastoral theology and practical ministry, counselling and mission and missiology. Morling College Library also supports students enrolled in Southland College, and thus houses a collection of education theory and teacher resources. Morling College Library is open six days a week during semester time and is open to the public for in Library use.
Queen’s College is a residential college for students at the University of Melbourne. The Queen’s College Library is an associate member of LIAM (Libraries of Institutions in Association with MCD University of Divinity). The library’s special collection, the Sugden Heritage Collection, consists of books, pamphlets, serials and manuscripts which document the history and theology of Methodism in Australasia and Britain from the earliest years until the commencement of The Uniting Church in Australia. It also includes signed manuscript letters by John Wesley and outstanding items of Wesley realia. In addition there is a remarkable collection of Bibles dating from 1495 to the 19th century, as well as many rare volumes from the 17-18th centuries which provide important background information for study of the Wesleys and Methodism. It is the largest collection of its type in the southern hemisphere and of international importance.
Queen’s College welcomes researchers for in-house use of the resources. Access is by appointment (Tel.: 03 9349 0741), Monday – Friday, 9.30-4.30pm. Personal loans are not available however some resources may be available on Interlibrary Loan for ‘In-library-use only’ at the requesting library. Permission to copy/scan will depend on the age and condition of the item.